Unsure what to search for? Other customers found these helpful.



Help someone who does not have the ability or mental capacity to manage their benefits

If you know someone who receives state benefits and needs help to manage their money, you could apply to become their appointee and act on their behalf.

What is it?

An appointeeship, granted by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), allows you as an ‘appointee’ to claim benefits on behalf of someone who is no longer able to manage their own affairs. Only 1 person can act as an appointee at any one time. The maximum balance on appointee-run accounts is £5,000 as an appointee can only manage state benefits. If you are dealing with a balance of over £5,000, you will need to apply to the Court of Protection to become a deputy.

Once appointed by the DWP and registered with us, you can use a debit card to withdraw cash and make chip-and-PIN payments.

What can an Appointee do?

An appointee can only manage state benefits, so we limit the balance on appointee-run accounts to a maximum of £5,000. As an appointee, it’s essential that you monitor the account and ensure it doesn’t exceed its balance.

For accounts with balances above £5,000, an appointee must apply to the apply to the Court of Protection  to become a deputy.

An Appointee can:

  • Access the claimant’s account using a debit card
  • Make withdrawals at a cash machine
  • Purchase items with a debit card in person, online or by phone
  • Make cheque payments (if the account has a chequebook)

An Appointee can’t:

  • Manage your account in Online Banking and Telephone Banking
  • Register to manage your account using the Barclays Mobile Banking app

An Appointee can’t register for:

  • Telephone Banking
  • Online or Mobile Banking


How to become an appointee

You can set up an appointeeship by applying to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). The application process will differ depending on the types of benefit the claimant receives or needs to apply for. Find out more on the DWP page on becoming an appointee .

Once you’ve been appointed by the DWP you’ll need to register with us by following the three steps below:

Step 1: book an appointment

Arrange an appointment in one of our branches at a convenient time in branch or by calling us on 0345 7345 345

Step 2: verify your documents

Bring the following documents to your appointment so we can verify your appointeeship and identity without delays:

a) Your original appointeeship document
A certified copy of the original appointeeship document (BF57) issued to you by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), confirming you’ve been formally appointed to act for the claimant. We can’t accept photocopies.

b) Proof of your identity and residential address

If you bank with us, you’ll need:

Proof of your identity

This can be:

  • Barclays Debit/Credit Card
  • UK passport
  • UK full or provisional driving licence photo

If you don’t currently bank with us, you’ll need:

Proof of your identity

This can be:

  • UK passport
  • UK full or provisional driving licence photo

Proof of residence

This can be:

  • A utility bill less than three months old confirming your current address

What happens next

  • We’ll review your documents and contact you if we need to check anything
  • Once your appointeeship is set up, we’ll send you a letter by post that confirms you as the appointee. This normally takes 5 to 10 days
  • If you’ve requested a debit card, we’ll send the card and PIN separately by post within 7 working days


Important information
1. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9-5pm. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges