Unsure what to search for? Other customers found these helpful.

Court of Protection Order

Court of Protection Order

Get the authority to act on behalf of someone in need

If someone becomes unable to manage their own affairs, a court can appoint a relative, friend or official as their deputy. The deputy can then register with us to manage the person's finances.

What is it?

The Court of Protection has the power to appoint a deputy to act on someone's behalf if they can no longer manage their own affairs.

This could suit you if:

  • A family member, friend or someone you're caring for has lost the mental capacity to manage their own affairs
  • You are an appointee on a claimant's account with a balance over the maximum of £5,000

What you need to know

  • Once appointed, the deputy becomes responsible for making decisions until the person they’re looking after is able to make decisions on their own again or dies 
  • The deputy has full control over the accounts and we’ll only accept instruction from them
  • A deputy is usually a close friend or relative of the person who needs help to make decisions. The court can also appoint professional people, like solicitors and accountants, or a local authority
  • Deputies must be over 18


What can a deputy do?

Once a deputy has been appointed by the Court of Protection and registered with us, they’ll have full control. They’ll be the only person who can access and manage the accounts.

The deputy can arrange for the account holder to have limited access to their accounts. For example, the deputy could set up a separate account that lets the account holder withdraw cash, but doesn't enable them to write cheques or go overdrawn. 

How to become a Deputy

Apply for a Court of Protection order

You can apply to the Court of Protection to act as someone’s deputy so you can make decisions on their behalf. Find out how to apply to the Court of Protection  and read guidance about the application procedure, including:

  • How to make your application and which forms you will need to use
  • How long your application will take
  • How much your application will cost, including Court of Protection fees 
  • Your responsibilities as a deputy


Register the Court of Protection Order with us?

Once you have been appointed as a deputy by the Court of Protection, you can register with us using the following steps:

Step 1: book an appointment

You can book an appointment either in branch or by calling us on 0345 7345 345.

Step 2: documentation

So that we can progress your registration as quickly as possible, you’ll need to bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

a) The original Court of Protection Order, which we’ll copy and forward to our specialist team

b) Proof of identity and residence


If you bank with us you’ll need:

Proof of Identity

This can be:

  • Barclays debit/credit card
  • UK passport
  • UK full or provisional photo driving licence


If you don't bank with us you’ll need:

Proof of Identity

This can be:

  • UK passport
  • UK full or provisional photo driving licence. (If you don’t have a passport or driving licence, your local branch can suggest an alternative method of identification.)

 Proof of residence

This can be:

  • A utility bill less than 3 months old that confirms your current address



What happens next

We’ll review your documents, and contact you if we need to check anything.

Once your Court of Protection Order registration is set up, we’ll send you a letter that confirms you as the deputy.

This normally takes 5 to 10 days If you’ve requested a debit card, or access to Online or Telephone Banking, we’ll make the arrangements and send cards and log-in details separately within 5 to 7 working days of the registration confirmation. Further information will be provided in your confirmation letter.

Important information
1. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9-5pm. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges